Ruth Lee Kennedy Fellowship
For students of Golden Age literature.
These awards allow a student to work with a professor on a particular research project or work as a member of the editorial board of the departmental journal, the Arizona Journal of Hispanic Cultural Studies.
Calls for applications will be sent out when Research Assistantships to work with a professor become available. Students interested in applying for a Research Assistantship must follow the following procedure:
- Consult with the professor in charge of the research to find out more about the project, as well as your anticipated role.
- Submit a letter of interest to the Graduate Studies Committee, which addresses:
- How your interests fit the description of the proposed project
- Why you would benefit from the research assistantship
- A summary of your role in the project
- The Graduate Studies Committee will review the applicants’ letters of proposal and forward a recommendation to the Department Head, who will make the final decision in consultation with the professor directing the project.
Once awarded a Research Assistantship, a student will not be eligible to reapply for another one for one year.
Graduate Assistant in Alcalá de Henares, Spain
This award provides the opportunity to spend one or two semesters in Spain and serve as assistant to the resident director of our undergraduate study abroad program there. A two-semester commitment to the Alcalá program is preferred. The assistantship is open to Ph. D. students who have passed their comprehensive exams and are making satisfactory progress toward completion of degree. Students should be in the early stages of writing their dissertation.
Calls for applications will be sent out when the Graduate Assistant position in Alcalá is available. Students interested in applying for the assistantship must submit the following to the Department Head:
- A letter of interest which addresses why you would benefit from the experience abroad
- A letter of support from your dissertation director
- In addition, the student must show:
- Demonstrated competence in teaching
- Good ability to work with and advise undergraduate students
While all students who have passed their doctoral exams are encouraged to apply, special consideration may be given to students who have a demonstrated need for access to archival resources in Spain or students who have not lived or studied abroad for an extended period of time.